Thursday, August 13, 2015

Spiritual Sinus Infections

For weeks now, my sinuses have been draining into my ear making it hard to hear people talking to me, or just noises in general. My doctor shook her head this morning as she poked her pointy black light into my ear, "Guess it's been difficult for you to listen to people, huh?" She asked as she finished up her examination and began writing my prescription. I nodded miserably, fighting the urge to shake my head and clear out the white noise that drowns all sound out of my left ear.

It HAD been hard to hear things lately. I missed the early morning sounds of birds as I did my Bible time out on the back patio, or the soft background music I have a habit of playing while I clean my room {I had to raise my Spotify sounds to an ear splitting level in order to enjoy my music}. Not being able to hear sucked. Not only was it just annoying, it was also dangerous. I few times I had been unable to hear cars coming in parking lots and almost became a human pancake.

I thought about how many times in my life when I hadn't heard God. How much more had my life sucked when I chose to ignore His voice and warnings and had chosen a life of sin over a life of obedience. The more I sinned, the more difficult it was to hear Him. Finally my "symptoms" got so bad, I could hear nothing at all. The silence was deafening. The silence was dangerous.

I stood in line to pick up my prescription and thought about how I had put away everything that I had kept me away from God. I had given up things that were hindering  my recovery, and found that all of a sudden I could hear! He was speaking as plain as day! I was/am so happy about getting over my spiritual sinus infection.

Now let's just pray that I can get over my physical one and be able to hear again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment